Theatre

The theatre was originally of circular layout but was given an elliptical design as part of Chalgrin’s restoration work in 1808. It was the first of the Parisian theatres to provide bench seating for pit audiences. As a result of the restoration work which lead to its reopening in 2006, the theatre now seats up to 800 spectators.

White in the beginning, the Theatre was blue, "dead leaf", and red "Comédie-Française" after the Second World War, from the time of the "Luxembourg Theatre ", color still in place today.

salle pendant l'Orestie

The restoration work on the theatre (2003-2006) enabled a shift in the relationship between stage and audience. In order to keep up with the needs of contemporary stage design, and simplify the process of receiving visiting productions, the decision was made to set the stage at horizontal level. Its street-level access also facilitates the task of bringing in and out new decors. In return, the slope of the pit area was increased significantly.
salle pendant l'Orestie
salle pendant l'Orestie
© Thierry Depagne - June 18th, 2008