Public Spaces

  •  | foyer du public, photo Laure Vasconi

    foyer du public, photo Laure Vasconi

    After the fire of 1799, Chalgrin (the architect of the Triumphal arch) was charged by Napoleon of the rebuilding.

  •  | la salle un soir de représentation, photo Thierry Depagne

    la salle un soir de représentation, photo Thierry Depagne

    The theatre was originally of circular layout but was given an elliptical design as part of Chalgrin’s restoration work in 1808. It was the first of the Parisian theatres to provide bench seating for pit audiences. As a result of the restoration work which lead to its reopening in 2006, the theatre now seats up to 800 spectators.

  •  | un petit ange du dernier balcon, photo Laure Vasconi

    un petit ange du dernier balcon, photo Laure Vasconi

    The renovation of the theatre (2003-2006) made it possible to modify the scene-room ratio. For the needs of contemporary scenography, and to simplify the reception of the spectacles from other theatres, it was decided to put the scene at horizontal (and on the level of the street, to facilitate the entry of the scenery).

  •  | photo Thierry Depagne / une œuvre d'André Masson, 1965 © ADAGP, Paris 2014

    photo Thierry Depagne / une œuvre d'André Masson, 1965 © ADAGP, Paris 2014

    The current ceiling (1965), by André Masson, is an elaboration around the central theme of the Apollo-sun figure, in addition to different tragic and dramatic figures.

  •  | extérieur du Théâtre de l'Odéon, photo Philippe Fourdan. Avec tous nos remerciements.

    extérieur du Théâtre de l'Odéon, photo Philippe Fourdan. Avec tous nos remerciements.

    After its doors opened in 1782, the Théâtre de l'Odéon is the oldest theatre monument in Paris. What characterizes this building is the austerity of its underlying cubic forms, its great mass, and Doric order, to which its two architects added the following justification: it is in keeping with the order of Apollo, the leader of the Muses. The building’s monumental aspect is reminiscent of the grandeur of the monuments of Ancient Greece...

  •  | Le Salon Roger Blin en configuration de réception.

    Le Salon Roger Blin en configuration de réception.

    The Roger Blin Room, created at the close of the XIXth century, was originally a small foyer opening onto the theatre’s main foyer. Since its transformation into a tiny theatre laboratory space by Jean-Louis Barrault in 1967, it now serves as a space for readings and talks. It is also home to the theatre’s library.

  •  | Le vestibule, photo Laure Vasconi

    Le vestibule, photo Laure Vasconi

    Once inside the building, we enter into the square-shaped vestibule and its columns belonging to the Tuscan Doric order. The vestibule opens onto two symmetrical monumental staircases. The front part of the building was spared from the two fires dating back to 1799 and 1818, and is separated from the theatre by a thick masonry wall. It comprises the vestibule, staircases and entry hall.

  •  | Le gradin des Ateliers Berthier.

    Le gradin des Ateliers Berthier.

    The Ateliers Berthier were built by Charles Garnier in 1895 for the Opéra de Paris (of which he was the architect) and served as a warehouse for storing stage sets until the 1950’s. In January 2003, the Salle des Ateliers Berthier, situated on Boulevard Berthier in the 17th arrondissement, was turned into a public building in order to serve as a temporary venue during construction work in the Odéon’s historic theatre between 2002 and 2006.
    In May 2005, the Ateliers Berthier were officially designated as the Odéon-Théâtre de l'Europe’s second theatre, and have a seating capacity of 390 spectators.